35mm skateboarding photography

Welenski Leo - Nose stall on the Leaderville mini ramp extension. The photo that started a frendship and many more to follow. Olympus OM1 ...

Welenski Leo - Nose stall on the Leaderville mini ramp extension. The photo that started a frendship and many more to follow. Olympus OM1 - Ilford HP5plus shot at iso800 and scanned on Epson V370



Its funny how you settle into something. How a hobby morphs and changes until you find that perfect metaphorical couch: you sight that old comfortable chair in the corner, turn around and settle into it with a heavy sigh. Its something that feels just right and something it feel like you've known for a while.

I carried a camera with me everywhere. I always wanted to be brave enough to take photos of strangers. But i was too shy and when brave enough, never came away with enough depth the the persons story.

I'd skateboarded during my university days - opting to roll around a skatepark instead of frolicking with the other tipsy students on the sunny lawns of campus.

I always wanted to try and shoot film. it seemed. ridiculous: expensive, inflexible, flawed and antiquated. but romantic.

I love any environment that breeds its own culture. something that goes deeper than the act itself and to which people come together and cling to. i'd seen it in climbing, in acrobatics, in motorbikes, hell even in construction.

Isn't it funny how these things above came together to one of my favorite projects. One that has rewarded me with great photos, new friends and personal growth:



Adrien Toro - picking himself up after another bail - everyone else had given up because of the rain. Nedlands Skate park. Olympus OM1 - Ilford HP5plus shot at iso400 and scanned on Epson V370
Walking onto a skatepark is a terrifying experience - at least from the outside. I took up skateboarding again to have something in common with the skaters, and the fever has taken hold of me again! I love the feeling it gives me, I love the personal challenges, I love the individual expression.

I go for a roll. talk to a few people, look who's got cool style or unusual tricks- talk to them about it then ask if I can take a photo. I'm yet to be turned down. The thing is, skateboarders are creatives, they constantly work their art with their bodies. not only are they open to other forms like photography, they've often got great ideas.

Skateboard culture heaven - Soggy Bones Northbridge - Minolta XG-1 - Ilford HP5plus shot at iso400 and scanned on Epson V370
The elements above work so well together: I meet interesting and creative people. I get to capture that strong sub culture on a romantic medium and I get to work my photographic technique in a very analogue, hands-on way. It pushes my comfort levels - both in camera and in meeting people.

Adrien Toro.Tre-Flip. I love the light in this shot- Nedlands skate park. Olympus OM1 - Ilford HP5plus shot at iso400 and scanned on Epson V370


Welenski Leo - rock and roll . Bassandean extension. Olympus OM1 - Kodak Porta400 shot at iso400 and scanned on Epson V370

TomTom Mulroney - Taking it all in. Belmont skate park. photo by Sam Skellern. Canonet QL19 - Ilford HP5plus shot at iso400 and scanned on Epson V370


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Powered by Blogger.