Revisiting the fear of open spaces

Robyn, Jim and myself planned to tour over 'Le Col du Berard'. I remember doing this for the first time last year with my cousin, M...

Robyn, Jim and myself planned to tour over 'Le Col du Berard'. I remember doing this for the first time last year with my cousin, Martial. I recall the first climb over the Col des Crochues and thinking it very steep; struggling with my kick turns and wondering what was in fact all keeping us on the face and why we didn't slip or fall down. In short, it terrified me

Coming back this year, I trust the gear more and felt more comfortable with the face. It was however the first time Robyn had toured up something like this and it was a real emotional roller coaster for her. The poor girl was near to tears on the climb up, but once again as a show of real courage, she continued to trudge up the face.

Boot packing up the last steep part up to Col des Crochues




After short ski down and a long traverse, we found a platform in the sun and put the skins back on. This time the going was easier and Robyn seemed in a better mood. The snow was firm wind pack and the area very avalanche prone. So we kept a decent distance between and kept an eye on each other.


Daunting but beautiful traverse


Once on the Col de Berard, we took the time for a few sweets and some water, ripped the skins off and dropped into the Vallee de Berard. It looked so beautiful!


Poudre tassee. Fresh lines in stiff snow

The snow was firm, settled powder and uncut. The settled snow suited Robyn and Jim well, as they were on narrower skis. About half way down the gorgeous valley we paused and regrouped. It was at this point that Rob said something that made my day:

"For that ride, it was worth the climb."

Jim and Robyn planning future routes



Robyn skiing beautifully down la Vallee Berard


The ski out was relatively untouched and we glided over rollers along the side of the river. The path this year has changed much from last and it now requires a bit more side stepping and climbing. I do feel sorry for my brothers the snowboarders on this kind of exit. Oh well: "chacun ca merde", says my cousin, Martial.

We had to cross a few mudslides and rivers on the way down. This 'ski attack' left frozen ice and snow to the base of our skis. It took a good while before we realised why we had slowed down so much!

Ski attack


It was a beautiful cold day for a tour and while I enjoyed the ski, the best part for me was watching the emotional progression in Robyn, from terror to this smile:


Happy girl!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Powered by Blogger.